About the Winder Wonderland DNA Project
The WinderDNA project is a community of genealogy researchers specializing in family trees of Winder / Winder / Winders / Wynder and related spellings. Together we try to help each other
- Uncover possible connections through DNA samples
- Climb over brick walls
- Dispel myths perpetuated by undocumented trees published on the web or elsewhere
- Provide an online database to keep track of our studies and to aid and attract other researchers
The DNA part of the research was originally based on samples sent to the FTDNA testing service. At that time we accepted only Y-DNA tests of male participants and analyzed those samples to sort out the various Winder et al trees. Since then, we have also accepted Family Finder tests from both male and female participants in our analyses. The results of our studies are published online along with a database of trees provided by our participants and enlarged by our analysis and further research.
It has become obvious over time that the contribution of all Winder et al researchers is valuable whether or not DNA is provided. Our database has attracted attention of researchers outside of the DNA project, many of whom have added to and/or corrected what we have posted.
The Winder Wonderland data collection can be found on our Genealogy pages. But please note: This data is documented where noted, but not documented otherwise. Please do not take undocumented genealogical information as the final word unless it is documented, no matter where you find it!
We have collected and written articles about our ancestors, which you can find in our library.
At this point, the current 3 administrators of the project are aging and/or feeling overwhelmed. We are seeking additional administrators to carry the project forward. The duties of an administrator would include some, but not necessarily all of the following:
- Continuing research to define and enlarge Winder et al family trees through the usual means (Ancestry, Family Search, Google, etc.)
- Identifying and contacting descendants who could possibly provide missing information and/or DNA samples
- Maintaining contact with FTDNA as co-project administrator for the Winder project
- Keeping track of DNA analysis techniques and applying them to our project
- Maintaining our websites at winderdna.org, Using WordPress (many tutorials available on youtube) and TNG
Don’t be intimidated! Volunteer for as much or as little of this as you like. We, ourselves, are still learning many facets of the technical side of the project.
For further information and/or to volunteer, contact Ann Winder
Please do not copy any of this material without our permission. We have quoted fellow researchers liberally, with their permission, and only they have the right to publish their material.
Please note that the administrators are volunteer genealogists, and are not paid by the chosen testing lab, Family Tree DNA.